Friday, June 29, 2012

chai rice pudding


I am a total tea girl. Green tea, white tea, black tea, chai tea. In addition to drinking the stuff, I am drawn to pretty much any food that is flavored like some type of tea. Chai tea is usually something that gets me through the cold, winter months. I love drinking a huge mug of it with a splash of soy milk before crawling into bed at night, or while snuggled up on the couch watching movies.

Well I finally figured out a way to incorporated the spicy zest of chai into my summer cuisine. This rice pudding is the perfect blend of sweet and spicy, and a delicious way to cool off on a hot summer night. This recipe makes a big batch that can be stored in the fridge so you have a sweet little something at-hand for the next few days.

Ingredients:
2 chai tea bags (I used Tazo Tea brand)
3 cups non-dairy milk (I used a mix of almond milk and soy milk)
1 cup water
1 cup jasmine rice, dried
3/4 cup light coconut milk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Steps:

1. Bring 3 cups of non-dairy milk and 1 cup of water to a boil. Steep the chai tea bags for 4-5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, cook the jasmine rice according to the directions on the box.

3. After rice is cooked, add the chai tea, coconut milk, and honey, and bring to a boil. Add the spices, then simmer on medium-low heat until the rice thickens to your liking (this should take about 30-40 minutes).

TEA-licious. And easy as pie. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks and sounds really good! Thank you for sharing. By the way, I like your blog. I found you via Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete

The Refined Hippie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger

^