Thursday, August 2, 2012

Walkins Glen State Park

I'm counting down the days until I officially relocate my life down to Charleston from upstate New York. I'm beyond psyched, but it's somewhat bittersweet to think that I'm forever leaving behind the place that holds 18+ years of memories for me. I may rag on Rochester for its less-than-ideal climate, but the truth is there is really a lot of beauty that upstate NY has to offer. People travel from all over the world to gawk at the Niagara Falls, wine & dine on the Finger Lakes, and hike the glens and gorges of the area. I love that you can drive ten miles in one direction and find a plethora of fantastic restaurants and boutiques, yet if you drive ten miles in the opposite direction you run into acres of farmland, lakes, and sweet, serene emptiness.

My mother and I drove down to Walkins Glen State Park today for a hike up the gorge and lunch on the water. Walkins Glen holds a special place in my heart for several reasons; I grew up going to the races in Walkins Glen with my Dad back when he raced Formula Continental cars. His car was yellow with polka dots and was always the easiest (and most exciting) one to pick out from the sidelines where we camped out for days. The state park offers one of the most beautiful hikes I've been to, which is what my mom and I decided to occupy ourselves with today on our days off of work.

 





After working up a sweat climbing the 800+ stone steps to the top of the glen we walked through town, perused a few of the antique shops, then stopped for lunch on the water. We each enjoyed a delicious salad- mine was topped with chicken, grilled apples, pecans, and almonds. An excellent combination that I will definitely be recreating in my own kitchen soon. 

I look forward to spending my last week home saying goodbye to all of my favorite Rochester-specific restaurants and hot spots. Hope you all enjoy another lovely summer weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Refined Hippie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger

^