Tuesday, April 17, 2012

{hippy read} animal vegetable miracle

 
This book changed my life.
Or at least the way that I eat in it. 

Calling all hippies, vegans, carnivores, and cookie monsters alike- no matter what you may call yourself, you should really pick this book up and read it from front to back.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle tells the story of a family that decided to eat only what they could produce on their very own farm in rural Virginia. Rather than preaching benefits of a vegan/paleo/pescetarian, etc. diet, AVM promotes a "locavore" way of life- eating whole, unprocessed foods that are organic, local, and in season. Barbara Kingsolver enlightens you with overlooked facts about America's food industry while keeping you entertained with her witty recaps of life on the farm. The book also contains tons of really awesome recipes, all of which are available on their website.

Rather than making self-promises to shun all animal products, I have vowed to be more conscious of what I eat. I now think about what it took to get my food from its place origin to my plate. 

And sadly, that means no more bananas. 

...okay one banana per week won't kill anyone, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Refined Hippie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger

^