Sunday, April 15, 2012

I {Heart} My Job

I have a pretty awesome job. I work for my school's (the University of South Carolina) Outdoor Recreation program, specifically in the Sustainability department. We have several different programs within the department, including an "Adopt-a-Waterway" program, a Carbon Neutral initiative, our own organic urban garden, and a new Carolina Community Garden. For the Carolina Community Garden we built 20 raised beds on campus, and each semester groups of students and/or faculty are able to rent them out- for free. It's a great opportunity for students who want to grow their own vegetable garden, and we're already seeing tons of success with it.

Last week several campus organizations participated in an event called Earthstock. We had crafts, healthy organic food catered by the local Rosewood Market, and bands playing as a kick-off to Earth Week.

For a fun, outdoor-related craft, we made these groovy paracord "safety bracelets." You can find the instructions here.


I'm quite impressed with how mine turned out- brings me back to my boondoggle days!


{my manager Katie and her happy dog Rivers}


{fellow O-Rec'er Justin teaching people how to make safety bracelets}

 Another table was making these flower and star-shaped wildflower "seed bombs," which you can essentially just throw anywhere that things grow. Pretty cool. I found an awesome tutorial online you should check out if you'd like to do some seed bombing of your own.




{yummy organic eats from Rosewood Market}

It's pretty rewarding to go to a school that is so persistent about engaging in environmentally sustainable practices. And it's going to be pretty depressing having to leave it behind after I graduate, but I'm excited to see the program evolve and expand after I leave and to know that I was a part of it.

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Refined Hippie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger

^