Pretty soon everyone's vegetable gardens will be overflowing with sweet, juicy cherry tomatoes (aka nature's candy), aromatic basil, and crunchy kale. Here's a recipe that's great for making use of these seasonal veggies.
- 1 cup spelt berries (or grain of preference)
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup kale
- olive oil
1. To cook spelt berries, bring to a boil with 3 cups of water, then lower heat and simmer until all of the water has been absorbed (about 1 1/2 hours).
2. Toss cherry tomatoes with olive oil then roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft.
3. Once the spelt berries are cooked, lightly sauté the kale in olive oil until tender.
4. Toss the spelt berries, pesto, tomatoes, and kale together in a large bowl.